Thursday, June 21, 2012

Reasons I hate the English Language

I'm still waiting, rather impatiently now, for my lilies to bloom. There are bunches and bunches of buds, but no flowers yet. sigh. So I thought I'd tell you about an issue I've been dealing with :) The other day at work I was trying to edit a webpage and rewrite just one sentence on the page. I was struggling with the wording so I talked to one of our English writing guys. We have 2 that I know of on staff that check ALLLL the writing in our office. So anyway. The word was "drag" but past tense, so I'm thinking "drug." Uh, no, a person or thing can't be drug, they are "dragged." huh? But if you "hang" something on the wall, it was "hung." But a person wasn't "hung until dead" they were "hanged until dead." WHAT?!! Who makes these rules anyway? And how about fun? There is no such word as "funner" or "funnest" but if you put an "ny" on the end of "fun" you can say something was "funnier" or funniest." why? seriously, I HATE ENGLISH! This has made me second guess most of what I say. And if you know me, you know I LOOVVVEEEE to talk  :) Yeah, I hate being seen as ignorant more, so this makes me want to keep my mouth shut! grrrr. And what about "farther" and "further" ? hmmm, who in the heck decided we needed two similar words that mean almost the same damn thing. And what about "lay" and "lie" Do you "lay" down or do you "lie" down and who determines the difference? And to make matters worse, think about a single goose, and many geese. But if your looking at a single moose, you also look at many moose. huh? wait, aren't they spelled almost identical?! What's the difference? change one letter and you change the rules?! Who made up these stupid rules anyway?!! so there you have it, I hate the English language and these are just SOMMMMEEEE of the many words that I hate :) Now maybe I can sleep at night and stop thinking about it. As for talking, I'm going to go speak Spanish now, at least there they have rules!

1 comment:

Team Burtenshaw said...

Muy bien, hablamos espaƱol... I always screw up then and than, I can't ever get them right. Even so I can't help but love English. I love when I actually know and use the right form of words, especially because I am a hick. :) love you girl. We did finally make it to Seattle. It seemed like a never-ending trip! I think we are about 8-9 hours from Boise. Heres to a nice rainy summer for us. ...Admitting that I'm happy to be out of the heat.