Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pickin' Raspberries

My sister and I had this great idea that we were going to go raspberry picking and get all these berries to make jam and put in the freezer. Well, at least I was going to put some in the freezer. Little did we know that raspberry season almost passed us by! We thought it was a little later than it ended up being. So this is what we were looking for. And this is what we got. The red and black berries had been completely picked over and were nothing more than dormant leaves and dead berries on the branches. We picked "purple" raspberries. Anyone ever heard of those? Us neither. Although I must say, they are rather tasty. They taste exactly like that raspberry flavor Kool-aid, and any other fake flavored thing:)
My nephew Bobby went with us. He's old enough to pick, but short enough to see under the branches. So he got quite a few.... before he got bored, and wanted to go to Peggy's and go swimmin'. Sine most of the berries were under the leaves and towards the bottom, we spent most of our time squating down and bending over. Not fun.
When Bobby wasn't picking, he was running between me and his mom, who was two rows over. He'd go "help" her, then come back to me.
We managed to get a little more than 7 pounds, and were able to make 3 batches of jelly for a total of 14&3/4 pints. Not bad for 2 hours of picking. Would have been nicer if we had gone a week earlier and the picking would have been easier. O well, maybe next year
.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

This makes me miss blueberry and strawberry picking in Williamsburg! The seasons come a little later here, so we're looking forward to getting out for blackberries soon. I bet your jam is tasty...mmmmmmm...raspberry jam!! It doesn't get much better.