Saturday, September 25, 2010

Alaska: Anchorage part 2

While driving down the Seward Highway we stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center. eh, it was okay. These are the only wildlife we saw the entire trip. Except for the eagles at Dutch Harbor. Anyway. We got there at 5:30 and it closed at 6, and they still made us pay the full price. Uh, okay. I guess it was a good cause, so I didn't complain to much :)
Mr. Moose. He had the velvet hanging off the other side of his antlers. The brown bear. Um, can't remember her name. The caretaker was there feeding her a grapefruit.

ReindeerBull elk. The elk are in the rut at the moment. And he didn't like us looking at his ladies. lol. So he charged the fence. I knew there was no was he was getting through, since there were two fences an the one closest to him was 3 feet from us. One of the guys said it was electrified, but as you can see, he's touching a pole, I don't think it was on, if it was electric. Anyway. he got this close, and I got this really cool picture!The black bear. Right next to this encloser was a house that was demolished by the 1964 earthquake. It looked like half a house. I can't believe the environmental freak in me didn't take a picture, but that would be typical. There are large tracts of trees that are dead. They are from the earthquake, the ground dropped 10 feet and was inundated with saltwater, killing all the trees. Wish I would have taken a picture. They were really cool.

















No comments: