Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gardening

We've finished putting the garden in. This was a few weeks ago, we finished the frame, tilled the ground, then put fence around it, and attached a door. I was the one cutting the boards, Sean was swinging the hammer.
This is now! Here are the tomatoes that I started in the house. I'm pretty impressed with myself, seeing as this is the first year I've actually gotten them to grow in the house. I usually have terrible luck with that. I'm hoping they get as tall as the stakes!!




I planted some marigolds to try and combat the bugs, and rodents. here's hoping it works!! Although I think the fence will keep out most of the rodents. Hopefully the rat family doesn't return and tunnel under it, since it's at least 4 inches into the ground! And Sean rigged an awesome watering system. We have a watering hose that has the pinholes in it and he threaded it through the top of the fence. So when we hook it up to the water, we get a nice little rain shower over the garden. It works awesome!

The finished product. We have nothing but clay here. it's really yucky!! hard clumpy rock like crap!! So we had to add even more stuff than the original mushroom manure that we put on . And since we put 400 pounds of that on, you can guess how crappy the soil it. We added a huge bag of peat moss, and 70 pounds of garden soil. I planted beans after our first attempt and not a single one sprouted. zip, zero, nada!! hence the soil amendments. We spread the new stuff on top and mixed it a little, but mostly we just planted the seeds in the new stuff. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we'll get something. I can't wait for the tomatoes!! I love fresh garden tomatoes, there's nothing like them in the world!!

No comments: