Saturday, June 21, 2014

Roof project

We needed to fix the attic/roof vents for our buyers. As you can see the edges have broken off due to the heating and cooling. It was cheaper and quicker to do it ourselves. So I got all the stuff from the big box store and took it up to the roof. 


First I used the crowbar and pulled all the shingles and existing plastic vents off. The hardest part was getting the first shingles off, once I got them off it went pretty fast. Except for the whole rain thing. It started raining after I got the first 2 vents off. In order to make it so the water didn't get inside I had to put the new ones on right after I took the old ones off. 
 Here's what it looked like after I got all the pieces on.


I then had to cut the shingles into singles. 

Then  put them on the vents. 

Finished product. Not quite the right color. But I really don't care. Since Sean is still injured and not allowed to do anything I had to do this all by myself. It didn't take too long. Only about 4 hours. Probably would have been less if I would have had help. I probably could have waited until later in the week to get some help, but my anxiety was out of control wanting to get this done. So I just did it. One less thing to worry about. It was actually the last thing on the list that needed to be done for the buyers. whew. 

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! You guys have really had quite the adventure. I'm glad Sean is on the mend - and didn't get hurt worse!

I think you are amazing. I would never be able to climb on the roof to fix anything. Between the lack of know how and very afraid of heights...

So glad the house is sold. What a relief that must be. So when are you off to Logan? Are the girls going with you?

Unknown said...

We are leaving on Tuesday July 1!! And no, the girls are staying in Pittsburgh