Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas cookies

I love making cookies and Christmas gives me a great excuse to make lots of them of many varieties! Today I finished 2 more batches to add to the 4 I did yesterday, all the while listening to Christmas music. The ever popular "party cookies" aka M&M cookies, and no bakes. 2 of my fave's that Sean doesn't like :) More for me. It cracks me up that I make certain ones only during the holidays. Like the orange cookies (which still don't taste as good as when Mom makes them), or the cherry nut nougats. I mean, those two are my most favorite and I really only make them once a year.
I think it might have something to do with the face that I have no one to help me eat them. Sean is a boring cookie person, he likes chocolate chip, and that is it. He is not a big cookie eater, and neither is Abby. Sabrina would help me, but I would probably eat them all before she got here. So, I don't make a lot of cookies during the year. sigh. So, for the last 2 days I have been living off cookie dough and loving it. yum, yum. It reminded me of when we were little and Mom would have the entire dining room table covered with newspaper and wax paper covered with cookies. And I would be sneaking in the kitchen to eat the dough out of the bowl. Yeah, like she didn't know that was what I was doing. The best cookies where the sugar cookies that we would frost. My favorite cut outs where the Charlie Brown ones, as well as the huge Snoopy dog house, although they never looked as good once you got the frosting on them. The cookies would be all over the table and we'd frost them using pastry bags, trying to follow the lines that were on the cookies. I might get around to some of those tomorrow. But they are soooo much work, I'll have to see how motivated I am when it comes to frosting. I might just have to do baked on sprinkles.
I think some memories might have been from the Mitch Miller CD I had in I (which Sean can't stand), or maybe it was Alvin and the Chipmunks. Both of which we would put on the record player (yes, the record player) and listen too over and over again while making cookies. Mom would actually limit the number of times Alvin was allowed to go on the turntable :) Ah, the memories.

2 comments:

Amy G. said...

Good for you for having a good attitude about making Christmas treats. Me? Not so much.

AMC said...

You used to sneak cookie dough when I was baking them too, would drive me nuts. But then you got what was coming to you when you bit into a cookie and got that piece of metal that had broken off the nut gringer.

I made a ton of cookies too -orange cookies, one of my favs. And I actually rolled out the pecan tarts this year. yikes!