Friday, August 2, 2013

Roller Coaster riding

Maybe I should have titled this "Hurdles from Hell." On facebook I posted that adopting children is like running the 400 meters hurdles. I don't think most of my friends on facebook have a clue how hard that race is! They all said, but you're halfway there. (My original post mentioned being on the 4th or 5th hurdle) When you run those or even the 300 hurdles, you hurt at the end. They suck, plain & simple. It's a sprint, but a long one, that has 10 hurdles in it. One time around the track, yeah, it sucks and it's painful. I can't tell you how many times I've hit the last hurdle and crashed, or the third to last hurdle and crashed, or even as early as the second one. I still have the cinders in my knees and legs to prove it. So this adoption "race" is like those hurdles. We had a group in AZ that we looked hard at and the case worker there was looking at us. But the one HUGE hurdle was that the kids are Native American. yep, you guessed it, once it was known that some white people wanted those kids, someone from the tribe stepped up. I just pray that they will be okay and will be happy. And in the 300/400 hurdles that would be like one of the workers forgetting to lower the hurdle in between the girls and the boys heats and you have to jump a REALLY tall hurdle. Yeah, you usually face plant on those. not fun. So we are back at the starting line again. We put our profile out for some kids out west again and have heard from the case worker. We'll see how far we get in this heat (that would be what you call a prelim race you have to win to get into the finals, in case you didn't know ;)) Hopefully we make it to the finals. It's worse than a roller coaster! At least with a roller coaster you know when it will end, and you don't have to do anything, just sit there and take what comes. 

1 comment:

Team Burtenshaw said...

This is a perfect analogy! You are right, it sucks. But, I'm glad you also know that it is worth it to keep trying. I'll be cheering you on from here! (I was always better at cheerleading than hurdles anyway :)).