Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Foster kids

I've seen a lot the last week about the Florida boy Davion and his plea for a family. He's 15 and has been in the system for his whole life. And now there are 10,000 families interested in him. I am so happy that he will get his forever family. But I'm also frustrated. There are people like us that want kids, want them out of the foster care system, have our papers completed and our home study done, and are waiting......a long time. We are willing to take boys & girls, up to 6 siblings, and can't find our kids. We feel that we honestly cannot deal with kids that have serious mental and physical handicaps, but we feel we can deal with the PTSD and behavioral issues that these kids some with. There are LOTS of those kind of kids out there in the system and not many families willing to take on more than 1 or 2 kids. Which leads me to my comment that something is wrong with this system. There are over 100,000 kids in the foster care system any given day that are ready for adoption, and 300,000 that are there for a short stay until their parents get their lives back in order. So why can't we find our kids?! I totally understand the need to make sure the parents actually want the kids and aren't planning on abusing them or selling them. I get that, I seriously do.....BUT! I know one of the issues is just the vast number of kids and the "un-vast" number of case workers. They, like teachers, do not get paid enough for what they do, and there aren't enough of them. I also know that some of the problem is the laws in each individual state. For example, in Ohio the state favors bio-parents and they get chance after chance after chance to screw up. Meanwhile the kids are in foster care for 7 or 8 or more years while their parents will never get their act together. Those kids deserve a real, stable, family. One thing I like about PA is that they have a law that bio-parents have a set number of months to show improvement or their rights are terminated. (it's slightly more complicated than that, but that's the just of it) Those kids don't languish in foster care for years, the people in government understand that there are just some times when the parents aren't going to be fixed and the best thing for the kids is to sever ties. And the number of kids in foster care in PA is half what it is in Ohio and there are more people in PA. Kinda backwards, ain't it? I guess all the little issues everywhere combine to make one big cluster storm. (name that movie :) Meanwhile we wait. And our kids wait, cause I know they are out there somewhere, I think we've seen them, we just can't have them yet. sigh.

No comments: