Thursday, May 29, 2008

My latest project

When Mom and Dad Rife were here a few weeks ago, Dad said I could do what I needed to do to make the flower beds look nice. This is what I started with. As you can kinda see, no one has done anything with them in quite a while. I love a challenge:) This tree had a bunch of rocks around it that Sean and I wanted to move so I started digging them out. What a pain. As I removed the top layer, I found more rocks, and more rocks, and..., well you get the idea. We ended up with that wheel barrow half full of rocks. The cool part, at least I thought it was cool, when I was digging the rocks out from near the tree, I found that the tree had started to grow around the rocks.
Cool, isn't it! At least I think it is, but then I'm a biology geek, so humor me. I also found several skins from last years locusts, Sean thinks I'm really weird cause I thought those were REALLY cool.
The hard part about these flower beds is that they are shaded for most of the day. Which meant we had to find shade tolerant plants as well as low maintenance ones. We didn't want to have to plant them year after year, so we needed perennials. And there isn't much variety when you look at all those qualifications. Some shade tolerant plants are downright ugly! But we did find a few that work.
We did find Bleeding heart bushes, which I love, and they are really cool, and grow in the shade. Then there are the Hostas, which the stupid deer eat constantly. I'm hoping though, that the dog scent in the front yard will deter the mangy things. I saw 2 wandering around the neighborhood this morning, eating other peoples plants. not cool. Anyway. This is what the garden looks like so far. I'm still planting some more flowers and we are going to be mulching next week. So it will be looking great. I hope.

1 comment:

KP said...

Beautiful. I love the fact that you are so gung ho on getting things in shape. You have such grit and determination. I am sure being a smarty doesn't hurt either. I can never remember what the requirements for my beds are when I get to the nursery. I get distracted by all the pretty flowers and overwhelmed with the selection.

Sorry, I couldn't see anything remarkable with my untrained eyes in that picture that I think is supposed to be something "cool".

Love to you.