Friday, June 22, 2007

murphy's law

Ok, so the bureaucracy that is college admissions amazes me once again. For those of you that I might not have told, I am going back to school to get yet another degree. This time a master's in environmental engineering. However... before I can even apply, I must take 4, yes count 'em 4 calculus classes. All before next summer, so I can get this done in 2 years, and move on to a job I actually enjoy. I had to go up to Pittsburgh this week to pick up the girls and bring them down to have some fun before we left. I decided that I would register for classes while I was there. I called ahead of time to find out what I needed to have to be considered in county so I would only have to pay the $80 a credit hour, not the $1500 per class. They told me all I needed was a bank account from Pittsburgh. Well, such was not the case. I went to open a bank account in Pittsburgh. Mind you, we lived in Pittsburgh not even 10 months ago, and would not have had our lisences and registration changed if we knew we were going back. Anyway, I went to Dollar bank to open an account, BUT, couldn't do that without proof that we were indeed residence of Pittsburgh. HUH?! So I had to go back to the bank where I knew one of the ladies that worked there and she could open an account for us. Okay, so now I have my account open. I go to CCAC (community college of alleghany county) to register. Go to the advisor to get my classes. No problem, but she tells me there is a chance that the classes could be cancelled because there is only 6 students, now 7, in the one class. Pray that they don't cancel that class. Well, this was not the end of my trials for the day. I then go to the actual registration desk, and the guy asks me for my drivers license, I, of course, show him my Virginia license, but also my new account for Pittsburgh. HE SAYS HE CAN"T ACCEPT THAT!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!. I wanted to scream. Then he tells me I could go get my driver's license changed. HAHAHA! There are a few requirements. All of which I can't provide. The big problem is that we are going to be house sitting for Sean's parents, so we have no lease agreement, no utility bills to speak of, including phone, and for the moment, no pay stubs. So, I can't even get my license changed because we have none of those things. So the guy I was talking to and explained all this to went and talked to another lady in the office, and she came out and I told her the same thing I told him. I also included that if I didn't take these 2 classes now, I couldn't take Calc 1 in the fall and then I would be seriously behind, something we can't afford.She asked if I could test out of the classes and just start with Calc. Well, not really, I'd like to get my mind back in calc mode, so that means I need to take these classes. They thought I might be able to register for the classes as an out of state person then switch and have the money refunded. BUT, since the money for the classes was due when I signed up, they couldn't do that. The lady that was helping went and asked the student accounts people if that could be done. She came back out laughing, because they said it was up to the people in registration as to what they coded me as. So making a long story short....They made an executive decision and decided that they would put me in the computer as in state/county since I was indeed going to be moving back. I never even thought to tell tham that I needed proof that I was going to be living in town even to open up a bank account. What a fiasco. But now things are good. As long as neither of the classes are cancelled, I should be right on schedule to get into the master's program next year. I'm hoping the move itself won't be nearly as traumatic.

No comments: