Saturday, August 25, 2007

Corn pickin'

This past Thursday and Friday I went to my grandma's in Ohio to help my aunt pick some corn. And let me tell ya, there was some CORN!!! Luckily i love it, and I plan on freezing it so I can have corn all winter long. This is part of the field that I picked from. It's only part of it, there is over an acre of sweet corn out there and it is all going to be ready at the same time. I'm glad I don't live there, then I'd feel obligated to help pick on a daily basis. On the first day out Abby and Sabrina helped. Abby lasted all of about half an hour before she wanted to go in. Sabrina lasted the entire time we were out there. She thought it was going to be cool, like when the native americans picked corn. Boy was she mistaken:)
My sister came out on Thursday as well and helped pick some. We picked about 30 dozen ears of corn. Oh, yeah, side note. On our way there, it poured down rain for about an hour then the sun came out. So guess, what, yes you would be correct if you guessed mud and humidity!!! Oh, it was lovely. This is a picture of my feet after we got done. I forgot to take the camera out so I could get one fo the girls, they were even worse! We had to stand outside the barn and use the hose to wash everyone feet and legs off.
On Friday, Heather, my aunt, had to take her 2 kids to the doctor, so I went out and picked on my own. I started at 10 and had filled 4 burlap bags by noon. It was soooooo hot, I was dripping. I found out later that it was around 95 degrees in the afternoon. Lovely. I didn't have any help on Friday. The girls had had enough of the hot sticky weather and of course, the hard work. So they chased the cats around the yard, bugged the dog and played, and griped that it was too hot.Funniest thing over the 2 days was the girls asking when Grandma was going to turn the "air" on. Uh, what air, my gram doesn't have air. Then they asked if they could watch Disney channel or Nickelodeon, I could barley stop laughing. My Gram doesn't have cable either:) The poor deprived kids, how did they ever survive?! Of course my sister brought my nephew Robert, and this is of him eating off Grandma's plate, and she was helping him. Candy was so embarrased, she never lets him eat of other peoples plate, it was too cute, though.

No comments: