Friday, January 16, 2009

Because it freezing outside!!

Don't know if anyone is paying attention to the weather in the 'Burgh, except for those of us that live here, but it's FREEZING here. It only got up to 8 today. brrrrrr. When I took the dog out for a walk this mornin' he did NOT want to go.He only went cause he had to, poor guy. While we were walking I noticed that he was pretty cold, and not happy to be out at all. And if you know anything about Great Dane's they really aren't cold weather dogs. They don't have a lot of fur, nor do they have a lot of fat. This means that they don't stay very warm. So I decided to make Riddick a coat. Sean was all worried that it was going to be a sissy coat and that he (the dog) would be embarrassed to wear it :) uh, yeah. Sean said it would be okay if it was a Steeler's coat. He had no idea what material I had brought home, and I didn't tell him. So I tried to make the coat without Sean seeing until I was almost done. He thought it was pretty cool, and he was glad I wouldn't embarrass the dog. Good grief! I had to make the pattern myself since the ones that they sell don't come nearly big enough for a 130 lb dog! And since it was so cold outside, and I wasn't about to go out either, I sewed up a bed cover for the dog bed. I put a zipper in one end so when it gets dirty I can take it off and throw it in the washing machine. Did that without a pattern too, would have taken too much time :) I don't have a picture of it because as soon as I got done the dog laid down on it. I guess he likes it.

4 comments:

1384 n said...

That is awesome! I love it! Wish my dogs did not have a fur coat made for below zero built in. Dang snow dogs ruined it for me.

Heather B said...

Good grief, woman! Is there anything you CAN'T do? You amaze me with your skillz. More power to you, and congrats on having the snazziest looking dog on the block! Take care.

KP said...

My word you are talented in so many ways. Industrious, creative, sewing, teaching, studying, basketball, mothering, landscaping, is there no end to your ablility?!!! Good on ya girl! Oh, and that is a very big dog. What on earth were you thinking???

BambieG said...

I love his new coat now he can come see grams and be warm