Saturday, September 29, 2007

Little Artist's

The girls wanted to use the last of the clay the other day. I figured why not, and it will be gone and they won't bug me again to use it, because it makes such a mess. At least when they use it, even though I try to keep the mess to a minimum.
Sabrina learned about making clay pots in school, I think, from movies about native americans and the pots they made, so she tried to imitate that idea. I don't think she got the whole coil thing. She just started shaping, but it came out pretty good. Sabrina was amazed that I knew so much about clay. At the time I happened to be kneading a loaf of bread and said " I like to work with my hands" Her return comment, " well no wonder, you're always making bread." Not sure the correlation went in the right direction, but I guess it works.
And this would be Abby's creation. She used a little too much water, but we got it to work for her in the end. We had the air dry clay and both pots took about 2 days to dry from all the water, and because they were so thick. I'm sure I will have pictures of the painting process next week, when they finish them. By the way, does anyone know of a more inexpensive clay than Crayola? They kill me, but I haven't been able to find anything else. My girls like to dry and then save the stuff they make, so while Play-doh is great, it slowly disapears becuase it decorates the desk and, or dresser of the kids in their room. Any ideas, let me know.


No comments: