Friday, June 12, 2009

Sewing projects

I made a dress for Abby for the wedding we are going to on Saturday. I actually had it cut out last summer for her, just never got it made. Luckily for me, she grew up and not out :) It fits pretty well, I think.After I got done I had some fabric left over. Sabrina wanted to make something so I used my handbag pattern and had her read the directions to make it. I figured if the home-ec teacher can use it for her beginning sewers it's a good place to start.
She hates the iron.

Finished product. Looks lovely for a first attempt doesn't it? Although the picture isn't that great. The only thing I'd do different is not help so much. I've made the bag so many times that I just told her how to do some of it, without having her read the next part. I should have let her go and then when she had questions she could come ask me. o well. live and learn, right? I'm hoping that she will bring her sewing machine over this summer so that i can help both of them with a project at the same time. Abby was getting upset that she didn't get to work on something.

The next day I helped Abby make an even simpler purse. Just a little draw string bag that matches her dress. I never realized how hard it was to sew a straight line. I'll have to ask my mom how bad I was when I first started out. I can't imagine that I was any better. :)
Here is the final product. Not bad, eh? I'm hoping the iron hasn't scared her off. I think the novelty is still high enough that she will be back for more even though she will have to use the iron again. Sometimes she is such a scaredy cat!

No comments: