Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Does this make me a "Molly Mormon?"

Sean and I are trying to cut back on our grocery bill and this is one of the ways we are trying to do it. I'll start by saying I put black beans in everything. And when i say everything I mean everything. The other day I put them in my chicken salad sandwich. Sean made fun of me, but ya can't taste them and they are WAY good for you. So, I do what I do:) My in-laws have lots of food storage in the house and when they were here last month they said I could use the beans that were in the storage. Yeah. As you can see, there is a bunch! So yesteday I started the process of trying to can them. Here they are soaking over night. I'm hoping it was enough.
Here is the mess that I made while putting the beans in the jars, that Sean says will be there for another week :)~ Whatever. And as you can see, I have my new toy. The pressure canner. Oh, yes, finally I got one. We're hoping to use it for the stuff from the garden too, so it will get lots of use before this year is out.
The final product. This is not all the beans that were in the first picture, it's only one bowl of them. I didn't realize how many fit into a quart jar. I also do not have a soup pan big enough to boil all the beans at one time. Meanwhile, the canner only holds 7 quart jars. Soooo, it's going to be a long process. But at least 6 are done. here's hoping I don't give anyone botulism!
This ended up being fairly inexpensive to do. All I had was the cost of the new lids and the canner, which will pay for itself by then end of the summer! I had all the quart jars already and of course, all the beans. So now, we wait and see what happens:) It's strawberries next week and we are planning on doing peaches again in August. Yeah, can't wait.

5 comments:

Amy G. said...

you'd fit right in with my family. it's black beans and rice every sunday for dinner at the allred home. i think it's great! and yes, it does make you a molly mormon :)

Heather said...

But being a Molly Mormon who is working on food storage is great! :-) We're slowly getting there. The more these salmonella scares pop up, the more I want to get our gardening skills honed so we can avoid the fresh fruits and veggies at the store for awhile if need be.

Nicole said...

Um, yeah! And I love it! Wish I was a Molly. BUT, I DID buy a wheat grinder, so I'm well on my way!

Heather O. said...

Trixie, you are my HERO! Even I am not brave enough to try pressure canning. Yay for canning, and for not giving anybody botulism!

Heather B said...

Trixie, I am SO jealous right now! Here I sit with my canner and jars, and fresh produce in NM is too expensive to make canning worthwhile! ARG! How I miss my VA farms and their berries... Have fun, my fellow Molly!