Monday, June 23, 2008

Trip to the cannery AKA more "molly"

Our relief society planned a little trip to the cannery this past weekend. I'm so bummed that I forgot the camera, cause boy, we were a sight!!! Hair nets, aprons, and bright blue gloves. And for those that possessed beards, face nets:) Our ward ordered the largest amount of food the cannery has ever seen, or something like that. It was HUGE!!! but that is what you get when you have 300 people in your ward. We left here at 7 am, since the cannery is in Ohio and we had to drive 2 hours. There were 3 other wards there at the same time, doing their stuff. There was 95 bags of wheat, about 50 bags of flour, a lot of sugar, as well as oats. And we had to can it all!! We were there FOREVER!!!!! We didn't leave until 5pm. We forgot to bring lunch, so by the time we were doen we were all starving and everyone had to hit the Wendy's on the way home. We tried to tide ourselves over with some leftover apples that didn't fit in a can. yummy, but just not enough. So I came home with some bulk flour and oat to put in the freezer until I can get a better container for them, and some sugar, apples and hot chocolate (of course). The flour, oats, and sugar should last us the year, so we won't have to buy that once I am in school, which will be very nice. If I make too much more jam though, we won't have much sugar left:)

1 comment:

KP said...

Ha, ha, isn't that so true about the sugar and the jam. Good on ya girl for taking a 2 hour trip to can. Surely I can do better getting my food storage going even if I don't make that kind of sacrifice. It sound fun, though. And what a great feeling to know you have all of that. You really are of pioneer spirit my girl. It's fun and motivating!